Have you ever had a dentist tell you about the importance of nutrition?
Not just the rhetoric of, ‘Don’t eat sugar,’ but have they really wanted to educate you about the critical role of nutrient-dense foods for creating optimal oral health (and whole-body wellness)?
We’d never had this experience until years ago when we started OraWellness. We began to meet some amazing dental professionals who are really doing their best to educate their patients about the foundational role that nutrition plays in navigating the path to optimal oral health.
Dr. Al Danenberg is one of our amazing dentist friends. He’s a dentist who has specialized in treating gum disease for the past 40+ years.
After what he refers to as his ‘wake up call’ of having a stroke, he began to dig beyond what our culture says is a healthy diet and lifestyle. His journey has brought him to a primal lifestyle, and he has completely redefined his dental practice to educate his patients about the foundational role that diet (and lifestyle) play in their ability to heal.
Since Dr. D’s wake up call and shift to a primal lifestyle, he has been sought after as a resource in the dental world for all things paleo/primal. You can find his work on popular blogs like Mark’s Daily Apple and Dr. Loren Cordain’s site, among others.
Dr. D has also become a Functional Medicine practitioner.
Below are some of the highlights from our fun interview.
- 1:26 How believing the culture norms about what constitutes a ‘healthy diet’ caused Dr. D to have a stroke and temporarily lose his ability to speak.
- 4:20 Explanation of his ‘nutritional blinders’ that were removed in 2006.
- 5:45 How he turned around negative blood chemistry, high blood pressure, and being 30 pounds overweight.
- 6:55 Dr. D’s formula for how long it takes to eat a healthy diet to reverse previous damage from unhealthy habits.
- 8:30 The relationship between gum disease and leaky gut.
- 12:30 The results from a clinical trial that Dr. D conducted to test the impact of two important nutrient-dense foods on active periodontal disease.
- 15:10 Historic proof that tooth decay and gum disease are modern diseases.
- 19:05 The two main foods that you must avoid if you want to give your mouth the best chance to heal.
And so much more…
If you have active gum disease, please watch this video. You will find gems and insights that most definitely will help you navigate your path to optimal oral health.
And, if you’d like to learn about an at-home kit that can help you address existing periodontal disease and take your oral hygiene routine to the next level, you can read about our HealThy Mouth System here.
Helpful, Related Resources:
Dr. Al Danenberg’s website
How to Help Your Child Avoid Gum Disease [article]
How to Stop Bleeding Gums in 3 Easy Steps [article]
Can Diet Alone Improve Existing Gum Disease? [article]
19 Pearls for Overall Health [guest blog post from Dr. D]
5 Steps to a Healthy Mouth [free video tutorial]