When was the last time you went to a dentist and they asked, “So, what are the health goals that you’re looking to achieve?“
When we hear the word “dentist”, most of us don’t think of a teacher, helper, health guru/coach, or good listener.
But what if a dentist could be all of the above?
Thankfully, this dream is now more and more a reality because some of these awesome holistic dentists already exist! These dental professionals create time to listen to your goals, acknowledge your experiences and feelings, and focus on meaningful conversation to gain an understanding about your health systems.
Their objective is to help you become informed so you can make empowered choices for your body.
In today’s expert interview, OraWellness founders Will and Susan have the honor of chatting with holistic dentist Dr. Kelly Blodgett.
Dr. Blodgett is redefining dentistry by providing a personalized, positive, empowered, and enjoyable patient experience. His office is an intentionally crafted, judgement-free environment, and he and his team work to help their patients achieve their oral and systemic health goals.
In this video, Dr. B shares his perspective on a range of topics, including:
- fillings, root canals, cavitations, wisdom teeth, trigeminal neuralgia, bone grafts, and more;
- the ongoing learning and growth journey that can be found in dentistry;
- how a dental team can create meaningful, trusting relationships with their patients and help them achieve their goals;
- and how patients can identify a great dental team.
Welcome to the future of dentistry and dental self-empowerment!
- 1:30 – What’s the big deal with having dental work done in a more conventional and less whole-body mindset?
- 4:51 – Why Dr. B thinks of fillings as “trauma to a tooth” that shouldn’t be normalized or minimized.
- 8:13 – The importance of intentionally creating more time with patients.
- 12:33 – Root canals, chronic hidden infections, and whole-body issues.
- 16:30 – Dr. B’s thoughts on mercury amalgam fillings.
- 18:09 – Accepting the learning journey in dentistry: understanding that our knowledge and technologies progress over time.
- 20:10 – Continuing the discussion about root canals.
- 26:49 – How Dr. B’s background in psychology helps to shape the way his practice interacts with patients.
- 34:36 – What’s a cavitation, and what’s its link to wisdom teeth and/or trigeminal neuralgia?
- 40:43 – Dr. B’s unique practice: creating time to listen to the patient to understand their situation.
- 42:43 – Ideas and questions to consider when a wisdom tooth extraction is recommended.
- 47:03 – What is LPRF, and why does Dr. B prefer this method over bone grafting?
- 50:31 – How to tell if a dentist is really holistic/biological/functional or if they’re just greenwashing.
- 57:17 – Dr. B’s closing tips for great health.
More Info About Dr. Blodgett:
Feel free to visit Dr. Blodgett’s website, BlodgettDentalCare.com, and/or follow him on social media:
We hope you enjoyed this fascinating look into Dr. Blodgett’s philosophies. We know we did!
What about you? What are your thoughts on Dr. Blodgett’s novel approach to dentistry? Have you ever worked with a holistic dentist or medical professional who took the time to really listen to your story and goals and then helped you devise a plan to work towards them? Please share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below so we can all learn from each other. And if you’ve worked with a really awesome dental or medical professional, feel free to name drop so other members of our community can find them.
As always, if you know anyone who could benefit from the information in this video, please help us to help others by sharing our work with your loved ones.
Helpful, Related Resources:
- Helpful resources to find a qualified dentist to assist you [article]
- Guide to Safe Dentistry [free eBook]
- HealThy Mouth World Summit [[series of expert interview videos]]
- Meridian Tooth Chart [free interactive resource]
- Understanding the issues with root canals [article]
- “My dentist says I need a root canal. What are my options?” [article]
- The 3 questions to ask your dentist about root canals [article]
- I Have A Root Canal – What Are My Options? [article]
- Is Thermal Imaging the Solution to Screen for Problem Root Canals? [article]
- What Causes an Abscessed Tooth and How You Can Avoid Them [article]
- Is It Possible to Stop a Dental Abscess? [article]
- The Common, Unknown Risk of Having Wisdom Teeth Removed [article]
- Is it Really Wise to Have Your Wisdom Teeth Removed? [article]