As you probably know by now, the primary intent of OraWellness Shine is to support our teeth in areas of existing decay as well as protect against future decay.
In addition to Shine’s primary goal to facilitate remineralization, a secondary intent of this new OraWellness product is to safely and gently whiten our teeth.
Depending on your focus, there are many ways you can use Shine to best support your oral health.
Three main benefits of Shine:
- Support the remineralization of teeth that have existing decay
- Protect teeth against future decay
- Gently whiten/polish the teeth
How you’ll know Shine is helping…
Customers share three main obvious signs that Shine is helping.
- Regarding whitening, you’ll see gentle whitening over time.
- Many notice less tooth sensitivity to hot and cold drinks due to the remineralization benefit.
- Your teeth will feel really, really clean.
Follow these steps to provide general support:
- Moisten your toothbrush
- Use the wooden spoon in Shine to scoop up some of the remineralizing powder
- Put the scoop of Shine into a small bowl (or better yet, into the palm of your hand)
- In this way, you can dip your brush repeatedly into that portion of Shine as you focus on different areas of your mouth. This will help you avoid contaminating the jar of Shine or getting moisture into the jar, which can cause clumping over time.
- Brush as normal, using both a vertical brushing technique (to deliver Shine to the edges of each tooth connection) and the horizontal Bass brushing technique (to support enamel and dentin along the gum line).
To optimize support
Ideally, apply Shine to your moistened brush and then apply 2-3 drops of OraWellness HealThy Mouth Blend.
This combination is particularly powerful.
The HealThy Mouth Blend will:
- Help reduce the main bugs implicated with tooth decay
- Make it more difficult for any pathogenic microbes to adhere to any decayed area
- Increase saliva production to stimulate remineralization mechanisms
- Optimize remineralization by super-saturating saliva with bio-available minerals
- Help transport these minerals into decayed areas of the teeth
- Strengthen and harden decayed areas both on the outer surface and on the inside of the teeth
If you have decay along the gum line, brush with Shine using the Bass brushing technique to provide extra support to those areas.
To support specific areas of decay
You can definitely apply a little OraWellness Shine directly to an area that needs more remineralization support.
After brushing, simply place a little Shine on a dry finger and apply directly to the area of decay. Then leave it to work while you go about your day.
Better yet, mix a little Shine with a couple drops of coconut oil, apply this paste to the area with demineralized tooth enamel, and leave it there to continue to provide remineralization support.
To protect against future decay
Generally, brushing with Shine will provide more remineralization support to help teeth resist future decay.
To add to the benefit, the powerful combination of using the OraWellness HealThy Mouth Blend and OraWellness Shine will provide even more support to protect against future decay.
One easy strategy is to swish the Shine/saliva solution around your mouth for 30-60 seconds after brushing and before spitting.
Swishing after brushing will bathe the spaces between your teeth with the much-needed, mineral-rich saliva solution, and it will help strengthen and harden all surfaces of your teeth.
To help gently whiten the teeth
Focus on the front teeth with the dry powder on your toothbrush. Once Shine mixes with saliva, the gentle polishing benefit decreases (the powder’s polishing ability decreases as it becomes less concentrated and dissipates throughout the mouth).
Reflect on the last time you remember a dental hygienist polishing your teeth. Normally, they put more of their polishing paste on their little spinning tool every 3-4 teeth. This is to leverage the abrasiveness of the freshly-applied polishing paste.
Along that line, if you want a stronger polishing benefit, consider reapplying more Shine to your brush once or twice while giving your teeth a good, gentle polishing. Just sprinkle a little Shine on your brush and focus on a few teeth at a time.
Here’s how I polish:
- Apply Shine to a moistened toothbrush.
- Starting with my front teeth, I use my brush to gently polish, working my way toward the back right side of my mouth.
- Apply more Shine to the brush.
- Come back to the front teeth, and this time, brush my way back on the left side.
How to make a ‘Do it Yourself’ toothpaste using Shine.
Let’s face it, old habits die hard. Sometimes I just really like to brush my teeth with a paste.
Plus, an added benefit is that with a paste, you can better control the amount of Shine you apply, especially if you are looking to ensure maximum application in a specific area (either for remineralization or whitening).
So, to make a paste using Shine, simply mix a scoop of Shine with a few drops of organic coconut oil. Since Shine doesn’t contain any preservatives, we just make this paste each time we’re going to use it. For added benefit, add 1-2 drops of our HealThy Mouth Blend for a well-rounded mouth treatment.
How to apply Shine to your brush:
We have included a cool, eco-friendly wooden spoon to help you apply Shine to your moistened toothbrush. The best strategy we have found to apply Shine without risking getting any moisture into the container is to use the wooden spoon to scoop up some Shine and put the powder in a small bowl (or even better, the palm of my hand). That way, I can dip my brush into that scoop of Shine multiple times without risking getting any moisture into the container.
While some of us would be tempted to dip the bristles of a moistened toothbrush into Shine, we have found that ‘dipping bristles’ ends up accidentally adding moisture to Shine, which will result in the powder becoming clumpy and not very easy to dispense over time.
So FYI, if you are a ‘brush dipper’, just know that over the weeks, Shine will become clumpy and you’ll have to make a paste out of it rather than have the powder to use.
Also, on the topic of moisture, if you live in a humid environment, be sure to put the lid on Shine after each use (this also helps prevent clumping).